Thursday, September 13, 2012

Work, and Races, and Roommates, Oh My!

Hello Lower 48!

Work is in full swing, and I absolutely love my job.  I love having real responsibility again, and a real end to my work day.  The people I work with are so nice, my Judicial Assistant brought me smoked salmon twice this week, and our in-court clerk is bringing in some moose meat.  We also have not one, but TWO candy bowls in the office.  This could get dangerous.  The one problem (and by problem, I mean awesome addition) to my job is that you can see Denali (Mt. McKinley) and Mt. Foraker from my office window on a clear day.  I took these on Tuesday:

Foraker (left) and Denali (right) from my office!
Foraker and Denali at sunset



Other fun Alaska things:

Alaska State Fair

The Alaska State Fair was an odd experience.  No fried twinkies or oreos, but plenty of oysters on the half shell, fried oysters, oysters rockefeller, crab cakes, i.e. my kind of fair food!


Prince William Sound Oysters

Rebecca and I partook of the seafood throughout the day. An Alaskan farmer also set the new world record for the largest cabbage, and someone grew a 931 pound pumpkin. That 24 hours of sunlight really does wonders!
931 lbs!  This would make a fine carriage for Cinderella
New world record cabbage!

We saw plenty of farm creatures, enjoyed the random fair acts, such as the acrobats from the UAA, a guy walking up a wall with a trampoline, and most importantly, we watched the lumberjack show.  I cannot stress how important this show was/is to my life.  I would like to introduce you all to my future husband, Cassidy. 


Oh, hello there lumberjack
 
 
Concerts
 
After work on Thursday we saw the Whipshaws and Dr. Dog in concert at Bear Tooth.  The Whipshaws were good, but they seemed like a high school band.  Dr. Dog was incredible.  We enjoyed Bear Tooth's first tap and a great concert.
 
Dr. Dog
 
 
Kayaking and Hiking
 
This past weekend, Rebecca rented a kayak from REI which Joe and I also partook in.  Sunday was the perfect day to kayak on the lagoon, and afterward we drove down to Girdwood and hiked the winner creek trail. We also went out to pick wild berries.  We have a ton of raspberries growing wild in our backyard and the trail near Flattop has plenty of blueberries.  This meant blueberry raspberry lemon muffins for all!  They were pretty fantastic.
 
Raspberry bush in my backyard
 
View from the Kayak

 
Hello from Alaska!
 

More of my backyard

View of Mt. Susitna from my kayak on Westchester Lagoon

View from the Winner Creek Trail

Rebecca and I on the Winner Creek Trail

Winner Creek Trail
 
More bragging about my backyard
 
 Who knows what is next, but I can't wait!  Autumn in Alaska is here, and I'll update more on that later.  Have fun in the lower 48!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment