Monday, November 14, 2011

I have already received received a huge outpouring of support from friends and family since starting this blog less than a week ago, as well as some great advice.  The best advice so far is to purchase an engine block heater for my car here in the lower 48 as they apparently get back ordered rather quickly in Anchorage, and cost much less here.  For those of you southerners like me who, up until two days ago, had no idea what an engine block heater was, it is a magic tool that allows you to plug in your car overnight and keep the fluids in your engine from freezing in the cold weather.  I've also received some delicious looking salmon recipes, so keep those pouring in!

I am now in the process of completing my last executive edit for the semester and getting Volume 36, Issue 1 of the William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review out the door.  I am going on vacation next week (yes, right before exams - more on that in the next post) so I am trying to get as much done as possible before I leave, including my edit.  As such, I stayed up a bit later than I normally would on a Sunday night.  I like to have the TV on in the background as I fall asleep, and am also one who rather enjoys the weather channel.  Lo and behold, Coast Guard Alaska was on!  It is just one of the rash of shows that have come out recently about life in the last frontier - Alaska State Troopers (my dad's favorite), Gold Rush Alaska, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, and of course my favorite, Sarah Palin's Alaska).


(I couldn't help myself, look at those puppies!)

These programs show that Alaska has somehow captured the nation's attention.  Alaska initially captured my attention because of its beauty, its danger, and the fact that so much of Alaska is still wild and undiscovered.

What is it about Alaska that fascinates you?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, that's so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, to take on this great adventure and challenge!

    ReplyDelete