Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cruising!

Most of my previous five Thanksgivings have been spent with my guys at Walter Reed, or at work.  However, this year my mom, my sister, and I went on a cruise to the Caribbean.  What is that?  Don't I have exams in a week?  Yep!  But I have a new theory (as of last week) that nothing prepares you for that last push like a nice relaxing week of fun in the sun.

The first few days were rough - literally!  The waters were so choppy and the winds so high that the ship could not dock in Grand Turk.  But for us that meant an extra day at the pool to just kick back, relax, go to a wine-tasting or two, and engage in the most important customary cruise activity - eat.

Puerto Rico was great.  Mom and I went on a hike through the rainforest, where it was raining (at least it lived up to its name).  Mom jogged up the trail backward (that is for you dad)



The rainforest was lush and beautiful and we got to swim in a large waterfall, got a drink and some food in San Juan, and then it was back onto the ship to sail on to St. Thomas. 


El Yunque Rainforest

St. Thomas was by far the most beautiful of the three locations we visited.  The sea immediately gives way to mountains, the water was crystal clear, and the people were so friendly.  I went on a snorkeling tour to a shipwreck on a catamaran that had by far one of the best rum punches I have ever tasted.

St Thomas (mom's photo)
We spent Thanksgiving on the ship, which was definitely a different experience.  In truth, while I enjoyed it, I did miss the way my family cooks things, and I missed my guys at Walter Reed.  However, I had so many things on the ship to be thankful for!  I met some really great new people, including the Ford family from Chicago.  By the third night on the ship, they were already calling me the "sixth sister," so I picked up an entire new family!  I also made friends with a few people closer to my age from all different backgrounds (and countries of origin). 

My new sisters!  Sheila, Susan, Donna, Peggy, & Eileen (not pictured is my new brother - Steve)

Aaron, Heather, Alex, Sig, Carl, Mandy and I

Our final stop was in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.  The water was truly turquoise and Mandy, mom, and I went for a horseback ride on the beach and through the water.  Definitely the best excursion of the trip. 


Yours truly leading the pack!  (Also mom's photo)


Mom reminiscing on her horseback riding days
 Mandy and I spent some time snorkeling, off the coast and we were dressed to impress:


Overall, it was a great trip and now that I am back in the 'Burg, exams and Christmas movies are calling my name! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! Maybe this can be my new exam-prep strategy. :-) Soak up the sun while you can, Miss Soon-to-be-Alaskan! Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete